Singapore, 13 Dec 2008
MUCH as actress Maggie Shiu says she is unlike the strong-willed character she plays in The Gem Of Life, snatches of her TV alter-ego Sylvia Hong surfaced during a recent interview with The New Paper.
MUCH as actress Maggie Shiu says she is unlike the strong-willed character she plays in The Gem Of Life, snatches of her TV alter-ego Sylvia Hong surfaced during a recent interview with The New Paper.
Set against the backdrop of the dazzling gem industry, the 82-episode TV series revolves around the lives of three sisters.
Maggie, 43, said: '(Eldest daughter) Sylvia is a stubborn woman who does not share her mother's materialistic view of love and marriage.
'I wonder, is this the case with all mother-daughter relationships? If you don't listen to mummy, then does it mean you're stubborn?'
If those questions were personal musings of her relationship with her mother, Maggie was not telling - just as how her character, an artiste manager, keeps her personal issues with her family away from the public.
Maggie said: 'She doesn't really approve of what her mother or sisters do. She will just tolerate them in public, but will return home to settle their differences privately.
'Plus, her job requires her to be a very decisive woman, one who knows what she really wants and will do anything to secure the best for the many artistes under her care.'
She also defended the common perception that artiste managers could sometimes be more difficult than their charges.
Maggie said: 'I feel it's the artistes who have more unreasonable demands than the managers.
'Often, the manager is just the middleman. Then again, I actually think it's fine for either party to be demanding.
'What's more important is the agenda you have in mind and ultimately, the end result.'
Whether it is Sylvia or the strong roles she usually plays, Maggie is often perceived to be a level-headed and no-nonsense woman.
But she disagreed: 'I'm not someone who'll insist on adhering to my principles. Essentially, I always believe there's room for discussion or negotiation.
'It all depends on the situation. Sometimes, when one is on unfamiliar ground, one could possibly be weak too.'
Despite that, her fans, such as housewife Ho Yue Ming, 44, still thinks of her as a tough cookie. Mrs Ho said: 'Look at how well she handled the betrayal in the past.'
Mrs Ho, who has been Maggie's fan since she starred in TV series The Breaking Point in 1991, added: 'She bounced back quickly and focused completely on establishing a stronger foothold in acting.'
Maggie herself confessed: 'I'm someone who dislikes complication. If the situation gets sticky, I will just walk away to avoid being caught in it.'
Just like Sylvia has to deal with the paparazzi, Maggie has had her fair share of encounters.
'I guess they're all just doing their jobs. If we choose to think they're intruding on our private space, then they are.
'I adopt a very simple attitude and that is one of acceptance. This way, I would feel less bothered by them.'
- Maureen Koh
No comments:
Post a Comment